We installed the engine this weekend! Holy shit!
It's in place, anyway. All mounted up properly. The wiring requires some attention and repair, from damage suffered in the accident. A bit of a time saver was that the back half of the LX wiring harness plugged right in to the ZX2 fuse box. We also need to finish plumbing the fuel lines, coolant, and vacuum hoses. And fill up the fluids. And I don't know what the hell else.
160k miles, biatch!
We also managed to install the dashboard, steering column, and de-scuzzify the inside wiring to some extent. There's still a lot to do. I'm not sure we'll get it driving in time for the last Miata Club autocross of the season next weekend.